WIAW and Sesame Chicken Recipe

I thought summer would open up my schedule and give me time to run whenever I chose.  Wrong.  Only a few days in and already my running motivation has fell by the wayside.  Yesterday instead of my scheduled interval workout, I just went for a five-mile run.  Gasp.  More often than not, I wish I could just go for a long walk with my mom in the morning and be done with it.  With so many things to do and people to see, I hope I can stay motivated throughout the summer to stick with my training.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup brown rice
  • 3 Tbsp honey
  • 3 Tbsps soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ginger powder
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 small chicken breasts (12oz), cut into 2″ pieces [could substitute with firm tofu]
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cups broccoli florets (I used one medium head)
Optional Ingredients:
  • Sesame Seeds
  • Green Onions
Directions:
  1. Prepare rice according to the package instructions.
  2. Meanwhile make sauce by combining the honey, soy sauce, crushed red pepper, and garlic together in a small bowl then set aside.  In another medium bowl, whisk together egg white and cornstarch until smooth.  Season chicken cubes with salt and pepper then add to egg white/cornstarch mixture and toss to evenly coat.
  3. In a small saucepan, steam broccoli for a few minutes (or until crisp tender) and then set aside.
  4. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then carefully add the chicken. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through and golden brown on each side. Turn off heat and remove skillet from burner. Add prepared sauce and broccoli then toss to combine.  Serve mixture over brown rice.  3 servings.
Nutrition: 422cal, 59g carbs, 7g fat, 42g protein, 2g fiber
The sauce is the perfect blend of sweet, spicy, and nutty from the sesame seeds.  This Chinese fake-out is perfect when you’re craving take-out, but don’t want all the preservatives, added oils, and MSG.  This recipe could easily be adapted to different proteins like shrimp or tofu and is a perfect post-workout meal because of the high protein to carb ratio.  Enjoy!
How has summer affected your running/working out?  What was your favorite thing you ate of today’s WIAW?